Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Hi Frens!

Did you know that December is the leading month in the U.S. for house fires? There’s lots of reasons for house fires, but December is HUGE because of the holiday season!

I love glittering decorations and bright, shiny candles cuz they’re so pretty! But, my favorite hoomans at the firehouse tell me they can be bad, bad things too because they can start fires.

I don’t want your house to catch fire cuz that means you could get hurt or lose lots of things that are special to you so here are some really TERRIFIC TIPS for helping you and your family stay safe this holiday season. I sat pretty and listened to them so you’ll love them too!

Candles are pretty and make the house smell nice, but make sure you blow them out if you leave the room or leave the house. Also, make sure they aren’t near any clothing, curtains, towels, or even close to a wall. Anything in your house can catch fire and that’s scary, scary, scary so if you can use battery candles, they’re the bestest!

Decorations are fun, but be careful when you decorate and keep decorations at least 3 feet away from any heat source such as radiators, baseboard heating elements, candles, stoves, fireplaces, and space heaters. Make sure any lights used for decorating do not have any frayed or cut wires too!

Real Christmas trees can catch fire in only a few seconds if they get dry! If you have a real Christmas tree, make sure it has plenty of water every night and make sure you unplug all of the lights every night before you go to bed. Never, ever leave the lights on if you aren’t home. Never ever! Here’s what could happen if you don’t water the tree!

I told you about the dangers of cooking last month, but because it’s the leading cause of house fires, I want to tell you again to remember to watch your pots of food on the stove and food in the oven to make sure they don’t cause a fire. Remember what I said about the turkey fryers too! They need space like me so keep them in the backyard and keep them away from the kids, a deck, or even the pretty trees.

Heating equipment is the second leading cause of house fires. The biggest contributor to this is the failure to clean, especially fireplace components like the chimney, flue, and even inside the fireplace before you put wood in it to burn. Space heaters also cause a lot of fires so if you have one, make sure it’s not near anything. Anything can catch fire if it’s too close to the heater!

That’s all the safety tips I have to share with you, but if you want to learn more, visit our Facebook page, and don’t forget to sign up to receive my email while you’re here!

Don’t forget to stop in and see our train garden! There’s so much to see and don’t forget to see how many of the 70 hidden Minions you can find!

Thank you for visiting my blog! 〰 Hope

Select list(s) to subscribe to


By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: White Marsh Volunteer Fire Company, 10331 Philadelphia Road, White Marsh, MD, 21162, http://www.wmvfc.org. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Leave a comment

White Marsh Volunteer Fire Company

Station: 410-933-0100

Emergency: 911

pr@wmvfc.org